Re: How can I force a particular startup hdmi mode on Raspian/Buster?

On 2019-07-30 6:51 p.m., Cousin Stanley wrote:
Gary Dale wrote:

Unfortunately none of those options are 1080i.

I've tried all of the 1920x1080
and they all end up being progressive scan.

   Running raspbian here on a rpi3b+
   currently using a 22in LG hdmi monitor.

   screen resolution is 1920x1080 @ 96dpi

   The raspi-config resolution menu
   offers 2 1920x1080 options ....

     CEA mode 16 1920x1080 60Hz 16:9

     CEA mode 31 1920x1980 50Hz 16:10

   I  don't  remember using these options myself
   when I first set it up, but that doesn't mean
   that I didn't ....

   In 10 days I'll be 73 years old
   and the wet-ware memory
   ain't what it used to be .... :-)

   I've also used a Philips 43in TV hdmi port
   with this particular rpi3b+ and do recall
   an odd occasional prompt about screen res
   that would resolve itself with an OK click
   but otherwise display was fine.

I'm not that much younger than you but different TVs can have different issues. Mine's a Panasonic 42" Plasma. The issue isn't getting a prompt about screen resolution but rather about getting anything to display.

In your case CEA modes 16 & 31 are 1080p. Mode 16 is 60Hz while 31 is 50Hz. Since Philips is a European brand, it probably has no trouble with either frequency.

Left to its own devices, my Pi4B will end up in 640x480. When I let it default, all I get are 640x480 and 720x480 resolution options. By adding a lot of lines to /boot/config.txt, I can get it to go into a 1920x1080p mode that my TV can't sync to. However I can use VNC or SSH to the desktop and open a terminal to set it to CEA mode 5, which is 1080i.

At that point, I can see a long list of DMT modes, which are progressive scan so far as I can see.

This is one of my biggest complaints about the people who design these things: 1080i is an international broadcast standard. Every device intended to potentially output to an HDTV should be able to handle 1080i automatically. It shouldn't be left to the device user to struggle to get it to work.