How can I force a particular startup hdmi mode on Raspian/Buster?

I'm posting a Pi question to this list because I believe I need a Debian answer. The Raspian answers have been failing me - see https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/101144/how-can-i-get-my-new-raspberry-pi-4b-to-output-1080i-video?noredirect=1#comment167120_101144 for the details.

Raspian uses a /boot/config.txt file to control video modes but this is failing in my case. It refuses to output 1080i unless I set that mode from the command line. However, when I do that, I lose the ability to adjust the overscan that the config.txt provides. Without that ability, I lose a lot of the desktop, including the task/menu bar.

I believe I should be able to deal with this by using xorg.conf and/or xrandr settings but it's been a long time since I've had to deal with that. Can anyone point me to some good, up to date, how to for setting a display to 1080i with overscan adjustments?