Re: Wireless home LAN - WiFi vs Bluetooth?

On Mon 29 Jul 2019 at 05:40:40 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> Sneakernet for file transfer has become annoying.
> Ethernet is undesirable in my environment so I am only interested is
> wireless.
> I have only a few machines a max of 6' apart.
> My usage would typically be peer-to-peer but I want to communicate
> between any two machines.
> My web connectivity is via a T-Mobile WiFi Hotspot (WiFi turned off).
> I run Debian 9.8.
>
> I've just begun reading - primarily Wikipedia articles and some links
> from them.  My primary question is "What should I be reading?" in
> order to ask appropriate questions. Specificallty "What?" and "Why?"
> much more than "Howto?".

You should be reading the shelf prices of cheap wifi routers at the
local chain store, or look in the papers for garage sales, students
selling up, etc. and make an offer on an old router.
The last router I bought was $38 inc tax and it has 5GHz.

> A concern is security issues.

Why? You're going to encrypt everything that passes through it aren't
you. And no one is going to steal your bandwidth if it's not connected
to a modem.

> Bluetooth, being short range, may thus
> have an advantage.

IP networking is built into linux. You can't get away from it, it's
just there. So use it. Configuring bluetooth is just a distraction.

Cheers,
David.