Re: Can Grub Boot Through a USB Port on an Old PC?

Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> writes:
> If the system on the USB drive is GNU/Linux, you just need to put /boot on
> the internal drive so that GRUB can load them.
>

>     as I have some PIC
>     microcontroller development tools that don't make in today's
>     world.
>

> Did you consider chroot instead of multiboot ?

	Not until I read this message!

	I have used chroot a few times and know that the
directory is now the root of the jail you have made but I didn't
stop to think that this also means that while one is in that
jail, all the pathsare now relative to the bounds of the jail
including libraries and executables which also see only wheezy
libraries so any executables should be happy.  The binaries we
make with the assembler never execute on site but do so in the
tiny brains of the PIC processors.  The programming device
we use to flash the PIC eprom connects to a native serial port or
a usb-to-serial converter and if those work through the walls of
the jail, there should be no trouble.

	If the programmer still works, that is a winner and many
thanks.

Martin McCormick