Re: Can Grub Boot Through a USB Port on an Old PC?

Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> writes:
> Did you consider chroot instead of multiboot ?

I have had some time to play with chroot and there is only 1
problem I have just discovered with everything else working
perfectly.

	What I did was use what would have been the wheezy boot
drive as follows:

	The only partition that could be used here was partition
1 which, on this system was /dev/sde1.

	I mounted /dev/sde1 to /mnt and used rsync to copy
everything it could including devices to /home/wheezy

rsync --devices -alHvbq /mnt/ /home/wheezy

	It appears to have done that and /dev/ttyUSB0 was there
so I tried to test it as user martin, not root as in "Safety,
first."

	When I tried to access the port, I got Permission denied
which means one isn't in the dialout group.  This always happens
if you forget to add yourself via usermod as root.

	I went backup to root while still in jail and commanded:

usermod -a -Gdialout martin

There was no complaint so I su'd back to martin and did groups martin.

	I was in all the groups one is put in by default when
creating a new account but no dialout.

	After trying a full logout from the jail, I did what
many criminals do and went right back in and tried groups martin
once again.

	No dialout and no complaint either.

	I did successfully compile a small PIC binary from source
with the old environment and compared it with a compile from 2016
and noticed that the binaries were different.  After saying a few
choice words, I checked a little further and noticed that both
were exactly the same size to the byte so I ran strings on each
binary and found or maybe rediscovered that gpasm which is the
PIC assembler puts a time and date stamp on each build you make
from source so I don't know for sure that the new build is
exactly the same but I would bet money it is.

	Anyway, usermod from jail fails quietly and I never get
added to dialout.

	Again thanks for the suggestion and any constructive
ideas are appreciated.

	Many thanks.

Martin McCormick