Re: HTTP shimmed to HTTPS

On Monday, July 22, 2019 11:52:59 AM Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 11:40:59AM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> >    * but when I view source in my email client (kmail 3.n), I see just
> >    the "*
> >
> > From: Reco" that I see when viewing the email "normally".
> >
> > So, it seems, something is filtering out a lot of the content of the
> > email before it gets to me (I don't think anything else in my system
> > would be filtering anything out -- emails come directly from my ISP to
> > my email client.
> >
> > A mystery that I won't dig into any deeper for now.
>
> Well, there are two possibilities.  One is that the messages are actually
> being truncated during transmission.  The other is that your email user
> agent is not showing you the full message text.
>
> The obvious way to figure out which one it is would be to read the email
> in a different way (cat, less, mutt, mailx, ...).

Ok, that fooled me -- I expected that the kmail command "view source" would
let me see the entire email regardless of how it might be "rendered" in the
kmail text box, but I was wrong.

When I view that email in kwrite, I see all of the content, and, then around
the email address (recoverym4n@enotuniq.net, after the *	From: Reco in the
body of the email I see two characters that look like triangles -- I'll try
looking at those in hexedit...

Ok, it looks like there is a 0x00 in the byte before the email address (which
is presumably disabling all further rendering in this version of kmail
(1.13.7, on kde 4.8.4), and a 0x09 in the byte after the email address.

So, I guess I have a way to send secret messages (to, at least, myself ;-)