Re: Wpa_Supplicant Fails Authentication

> In my initial trials and tribulations with this thing, the driver was
> the first thing I checked.  No, got the correct one.

The issue is not whether you got the correct one or not.
The issue is whether the one you're using is good enough.

> Just had to install the non-free Realtek firmware package which I did

Well, there you go: those don't use the standard framework, so they may
work in "most" cases, but it's not surprising if they result in
misbehavior in some less common scenarios.

I recommend you file a bug report with the author(s) of that driver.

        Stefan