Wpa_Supplicant Fails Authentication

Hi! All,

Solved the wpa_supplicant "No Such Device" problem on my system.
Change "allow-hotplug" to "auto" of wireless device stanza
in /etc/network/interfaces.  But now wpa_supplicant fails to
authenticate.  However, wireless dongle (Rosewill RNX-N180UBEv3) will
connect with security turned off on router and interfaces appropriately
configured.

Checked dongle on a friends older (4 or 5 years?) notebook running
Windows 10. Entered passphrase in network manager, and it connected and
worked just fine. Router works, too. My 5 or 6 year old Nexus 4 LG 960
smartphone works with it, the Roku device on the TV, too; and so does a
10 year old Kobo eBook Reader.

Thought it might be related to my atypical Stretch install on this old
(4 to 12 years, depending on the part) under-the-desk box -- minimal
install, window manager Openbox only, sysvinit, no network manager at
all. Had never intended it to be wireless capable, but have installed
all the appropriate wireless software. So, I pulled out a Stretch Live
USB thumb drive (LXDE GUI, systemd and all) and booted it up. After
installing the non-free Realtek drivers, brought DOWN the wired
ethernet, unplugged it, and inserted wireless dongle. It got recognized
and proper driver loaded, but I had to bring it UP manually.  Using
wicd, I configured the proper passphrase, etc. and clicked CONNECT.  It
failed to authenticate, too!

So, anyone got any ideas what the problem might be or a fix?  My
research has led to nothing that worked.  And I'd like to get rid of the
50' ethernet cable running down the hall. ;)

Thanks