SOLVED: Wpa_Supplicant Fails Authentication

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 13:30:34 -0700
Patrick Bartek <patrick.bartek@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi! All,
>
> Solved the wpa_supplicant "No Such Device" problem on my system.
> Change "allow-hotplug" to "auto" of wireless device stanza
> in /etc/network/interfaces.  But now wpa_supplicant fails to
> authenticate.  However, wireless dongle (Rosewill RNX-N180UBEv3) will
> connect with security turned off on router and interfaces appropriately
> configured.
>
> Checked dongle on a friends older (4 or 5 years?) notebook running
> Windows 10. Entered passphrase in network manager, and it connected and
> worked just fine. Router works, too. My 5 or 6 year old Nexus 4 LG 960
> smartphone works with it, the Roku device on the TV, too; and so does a
> 10 year old Kobo eBook Reader.
>
> Thought it might be related to my atypical Stretch install on this old
> (4 to 12 years, depending on the part) under-the-desk box -- minimal
> install, window manager Openbox only, sysvinit, no network manager at
> all. Had never intended it to be wireless capable, but have installed
> all the appropriate wireless software. So, I pulled out a Stretch Live
> USB thumb drive (LXDE GUI, systemd and all) and booted it up. After
> installing the non-free Realtek drivers, brought DOWN the wired
> ethernet, unplugged it, and inserted wireless dongle. It got recognized
> and proper driver loaded, but I had to bring it UP manually.  Using
> wicd, I configured the proper passphrase, etc. and clicked CONNECT.  It
> failed to authenticate, too!
>
> So, anyone got any ideas what the problem might be or a fix?  My
> research has led to nothing that worked.  And I'd like to get rid of the
> 50' ethernet cable running down the hall. ;)
>
> Thanks

SHORT VERSION:  Wireless USB dongle cannot be plugged in at boot or
restart. Must wait until boot fully completes, then plug in wireless
which is a hassle due to where the box is. I wanted the wireless to
come up at boot for convenience, but what are you going to do?
Fortuantely, I only reboot the system every couple of months or three
to vacuum it out -- it's very dusty here in the high desert.