Re: USB wireless dongle not detected

On 2019-07-17, Richard Hobson <hobsonrj@gmail.com> wrote:

> usb 1-2: Direct firmware load for rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin failed with error -2
>
> usb 1-2: r8712u: Firmware request failed.
>
> Does this suggest the appropriate firmware isn't available locally?

I think so.

> If so some help on how I obtain it would be very much appreciated.

apt install 'firmware-realtek' (you need to activate the 'non-free'
portion of the respository).

Of course, if you have no network connectivity on the machine, this
might prove to be a difficult maneuver. However, you could download the
package from another machine with connectivity and transfer it via sneakernet
to the machine with the realtek wifi dongle, where it might be installed
like this (as root or with sudo):

 dpkg -i firmware-realtek_20190502-1_all.deb

https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/firmware-realtek/download

--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan