Re: Re: USB wireless dongle not detected

Curt wrote:
Of course, if you have no network connectivity on the machine, this
might prove to be a difficult maneuver. However, you could download the
package from another machine with connectivity and transfer it via sneakernet
to the machine with the realtek wifi dongle, where it might be installed
like this (as root or with sudo):

 dpkg -i firmware-realtek_20190502-1_all.deb

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded the package, transferred it to the PC using a USB stick and run dpkg as above.

I get two warnings followed by a related error.

warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable

then a note about what root's path should usually contain
/usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin

It's about ten years since I last used Linux and I can't even remember how to check the PATH! However, I doubt there's anything wrong with it in a new installation.

Does it matter where I've put the .deb file? At the moment it's in the Downloads directory of my userbname and I'm runnng dpkg from there as root.

---