Re: Don't disable recoomends by default

On Fri 12 Jul 2019 at 11:23:56 -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:

> Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting Stephan Seitz (2019-07-12 09:30:38)
> > >
> > > From my experience this is wrong.
> > >
> > > With recommends my d10 update would have systemd as init instead of
> > > sysvinit. And I would have got (for example) the package debsecan
> > > which I don’t need.
> > >
> > > So it is better to disable recommends and look at the recommended
> > > packages.
> >
> > There is nothing wrong in suppressing specific recommendations where you
> > understand the implications.
> >
> > What is wrong is to suppress all recommendations by default.
>
> There's nothing wrong with suppressing all recommendations by
> default, as long as you're willing to go back in and install
> particular packages when you realize you want what they do.

I'll go along with Jonas Smedegaard's advice. When a user knows what
he is doing, not installing Recommends: is the result of a deliberate
and considered decision. If the user makes not having recommended
packages the default on his system, I can assure you (having done it)
that realisation sometimes comes at a substantial price, especially
when more than one package is involved.

The average user loses nothing by ignoring suggestions not to install
Recommends: across the board. They will be happier with their Debian
system - and that is what we all want, eh?

--
Brian.