Re: Problem Installing DiscoveryStudio2019 in Buster

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 08:18:31PM +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On 08/07/2019 21:13, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > Wouldn't surprise me if they parse the output of /sbin/ifconfig eth0 to
> > get information to create/validate a license key.  And oh boy will THAT
> > be fun, if that's the case, now that eth0 is not an officially valid
> > interface name, and /sbin/ifconfig is not installed by default, and even
> > if you DO install it, its output format has changed.
>
> Point of order. There' s nothing wrong with "eth0" as an interface name.
> It's perfectly valid. It's perfectly legal. It's just not the default.

... reading ...

OK, I guess it *is* still supported if you use a ".link file".  So, if
the OP needs to mimic that particular aspect of the Biovia target system,
they can do so.  It'll just be totally different from the way it was
done in older Debian releases.

I'm just guessing about the "license key based on parsing ifconfig eth0"
thing, but it *is* something I've seen vendors do before (I have
personally experienced it).  It's not something I just made up.  And the
word "license" *has* come up in this thread, so... we'll see.