Re: Problem Installing DiscoveryStudio2019 in Buster

On 08/07/2019 21:13, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 03:09:45PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
>>> Like I know what a "Biovia" is.
>> It looks like a company to me.
>>
>>> I'm guessing it has something to do with "Molecular-Modeling", and
>>> therefore I lump it into the broad category of "academia", which means
>>> it's poorly written but "works" as long as you build your entire machine
>>> to conform to whatever it requires.
>> Like Gnu, Linux, TeX, Python, …?
> Like scripts that are written for bash but with a #!/bin/sh shebang
> because they only tested on one CentOS box.
>
> Wouldn't surprise me if they parse the output of /sbin/ifconfig eth0 to
> get information to create/validate a license key.  And oh boy will THAT
> be fun, if that's the case, now that eth0 is not an officially valid
> interface name, and /sbin/ifconfig is not installed by default, and even
> if you DO install it, its output format has changed.

Point of order. There' s nothing wrong with "eth0" as an interface name.
It's perfectly valid. It's perfectly legal. It's just not the default.
If you want to rename interfaces, that's a well-respected path. It may
be that "eth0" (zeroth ethernet device) is a more meaningful name to you
than enp0s1 (ethernet card in the first PCI slot) or "dmz" (the ethernet
device connected to the DMZ). If so, go for it.