Re: buster irqbalance on 4.19.0-5 kernel?

On 7/10/19, Boyan Penkov <boyan.penkov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After the upgrade to 4.19.0-5, the irqbalance package is marked for
> autoremoval.  While I am not familiar with exactly what it does,
> reading here -- https://packages.debian.org/buster/irqbalance -- does
> make it seem like a nice feature, and worth having (and one that
> 4.19.0-4 made me have...)
>
> Did I miss something?

Hi.. I can't answer specifically what you're asking there at the very
end, BUT you *might* be able to delay that message with something I
tripped over a long time ago.

The Cliff's Notes version: apt-mark ("man apt-mark" could possibly be
your new friend). I just test drove it:

# apt-mark manual gnome-sudoku
gnome-sudoku was already set to manually installed.

So it looks like #ItWORKS!

You can see what, if anything, is already set as manually installed by running:

$ apt-mark showmanual

If you have a LONG list (mine is due to an unfortunate incident last
month, GRIN), you can perform a very simple "grep", too:

$ apt-mark showmanual | grep gnome
gnome-desktop3-data
gnome-sudoku
libgnome-desktop-3-17

Oop, just remembered I have (had!) 2 packages showing as autoremovable
so I test drove:

# apt-mark manual python3-colorama
python3-colorama set to manually installed.

And now just pretended to install aqemu. That python3-colorama package
is no longer declared removable as part of the *noise* that sometimes
appears during package installations. It *really* works!

.....Now the long, boring version written before the above was re-found online:

*Some* packages, *_not all_*, will issue some version of a "now set as
manually installed" feedback statement if you accidentally try to
install an already installed *dependency" type package.

About two weeks ago, I have forgotten where, but I FINALLY saw that
the "manually installed" message is, in part, saying... Ok, it looks
like you have a special attachment to, a special interest in THIS
package... So I won't bother you about THIS package anymore if it ever
shows up on *my* (apt's/apt-get's) list as a dependency that is no
longer needed for anything else to function properly.

"apt-get install" is where I see the [now set to/as manually
installed] message. It's possible it works for "apt install", too, but
I can't real quick come up with a test package to know for sure.

And, like I *tried* to say in some form, apparently the beauty of that
"now manually installed" advisement is that the packages that present
that notice theoretically should NOT show up where you're seeing
irqbalance just this moment in time. I've just never had a test case
to test drive that theory.

One potential, very useful purpose for the "now manually installed"
feature would be for a developer who maybe regularly, *momentarily*
leans on a dependency package while developing their own.

Having remembered about apt-mark's existence, I just got to delete 3
more paragraphs that were sitting right here. *yay!*

Have fun!

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey