Re: no sound from MPV

Quoting Sharon Kimble (2019-07-10 12:13:30)

> Ever since upgrading to buster I've been completely unable to get any
> sound out of MPV. And I haven't found any way online of how to
> re-enable sound for it either. SMplayer works okay and gives sound, as
> does mpd, but MPV views a television programmes but no sound.
>
> How can I get the sound working again please?

There are many ways audio can get entangled, so no single answer here...

If you try run from the command-line, the output should hint about where
MPV sends audio.

Example:

VO: [vaapi] 300x298 yuv420p
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz stereo 2ch s32

Above tells that audio out (AO) uses the ALSA driver.

If that is the case for you, then the problem might be that something
else on your system already occupies ALSA - maybe your web browser, or
an audio daemon - most commonly PulseAudio.

You can try explicitly tell MPV to use Pulseaudio, like this:

  mpv --ao=pulse ...

If that works, then you can make it the default by adding/extending the
configfile .config/mpv/ in the root of your £HOME (or /etc/mpv/mpv.conf
as root to cover all users on your system) with this content:

  [default]
  ao=pulse

If instead your output from running from command-line shows that you are
already using Pulseaudio, then you can try check your configuration of
Pulseaudio that it is routing the audio to your speakers and is not
muted (too big a topic for this email - try search the web!), or you can
try temporarily bypass Pulseaudio and use ALSA directly, like this:

  pasuspender -- mpv ...

Beware that it is _not_ enough to tell MPV to use ALSA if you want to
bypass Pulseaudio: It imposes as an ALSA driver so needs to be
explicitly turned off.

Other kinds of tricks may be needed if you are running KDE (or not, but
have some KDE applications open)...

 - Jonas