Re: no sound from MPV

Thanks to Jonas and Curt for your replies, both of which helped me to resolve this issue.

I had never thought of running MPV from the commandline, I'd always just right-clicked the programme that I wanted to watch and never considered the command-line option. and when i did run it from the line it consistently showed as part of its output when running - mpv -v /mnt/backc/progs/Our_Lives_Series_3-Series_3-Mountain_Rescue.mp4 -

[ad] Selected codec: aac (AAC (Advanced Audio Coding))
[lavfi] filter 'drc' not found or failed to allocate
[user_filter_wrapper] Creating filter 'drc' failed.
[cplayer] Audio filter initialized failed!

But when I looked closer at the output in my terminal I found this - [cplayer] Reading config file /home/boudiccas/.mpv/config - which was what I was expecting, but that config file only showed '# Write your default config options here'.

And further down the output it showed - '[cplayer] Reading config file /home/boudiccas/.config/mpv/mpv.conf'.

This was a revelation to me as I was totally unaware of this file, and in its 'audio section' it showed several uncommented items, so I commented them all out and tested MPV again. And it worked, I had sound again!

Thank you very much, I'm a happy bunny again! :)

Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> writes:

> Quoting Sharon Kimble (2019-07-10 12:13:30)
>>
>> Ever since upgrading to buster I've been completely unable to get any
>> sound out of MPV. And I haven't found any way online of how to
>> re-enable sound for it either. SMplayer works okay and gives sound, as
>> does mpd, but MPV views a television programmes but no sound.
>>
>> How can I get the sound working again please?
>
> There are many ways audio can get entangled, so no single answer here...
>
> If you try run from the command-line, the output should hint about where
> MPV sends audio.
>
> Example:
>
> VO: [vaapi] 300x298 yuv420p
> AO: [alsa] 48000Hz stereo 2ch s32
>
> Above tells that audio out (AO) uses the ALSA driver.
>
> If that is the case for you, then the problem might be that something
> else on your system already occupies ALSA - maybe your web browser, or
> an audio daemon - most commonly PulseAudio.
>
> You can try explicitly tell MPV to use Pulseaudio, like this:
>
>   mpv --ao=pulse ...
>

> If that works, then you can make it the default by adding/extending the
> configfile .config/mpv/ in the root of your £HOME (or /etc/mpv/mpv.conf
> as root to cover all users on your system) with this content:
>
>   [default]
>   ao=pulse
>
> If instead your output from running from command-line shows that you are
> already using Pulseaudio, then you can try check your configuration of
> Pulseaudio that it is routing the audio to your speakers and is not
> muted (too big a topic for this email - try search the web!), or you can
> try temporarily bypass Pulseaudio and use ALSA directly, like this:
>
>   pasuspender -- mpv ...
>
> Beware that it is _not_ enough to tell MPV to use ALSA if you want to
> bypass Pulseaudio: It imposes as an ALSA driver so needs to be
> explicitly turned off.
>
> Other kinds of tricks may be needed if you are running KDE (or not, but
> have some KDE applications open)...
>

>  - Jonas

TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 10.0, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 26.2, org 9.2.4