Re: Check your signing key expiration dates!

On Du, 07 iul 19, 21:11:06, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU [2019-07-07T20:31:23+03] wrote:
>
> > My gpg.conf has:
> >
> >     keyserver hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net
>
> SKS keyservers can be risky because they allow anybody to submit any
> number of key signatures to other people's keys. Recently some keys have
> been poisoned with a great number key signatures so that GnuPG chokes.
> Here's a link to message in gnupg-user mailing list.
>
>     "SKS Keyserver Network Under Attack"
>     https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2019-June/062098.html

Yeah, I read about that. Nasty!

> If you use SKS keyservers I really recommend using either of the
> following two options:
>
>     keyserver-options import-clean
>     keyserver-options import-minimal

What would be the alternative to SKS keyservers?

> If you happen to download a huge poisoned key from an SKS keyserver the
> above mentioned options protect your local keyring from getting unknown
> key signatures. The checking can take some time, though.

As in processing or downloading time? My systems are quite low powered
(fanless).

> Future releases of GnuPG will include more protective features and
> default settings.
>
>     "Release candidate for 2.2.17"
>     https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2019-July/062297.html

Planning to stick with buster for a while. Running sid is fun, if one
has the time for it ;)

> There is also <https://keys.openpgp.org>, a keyserver which doesn't
> distribute third-party signatures at all.

If my understanding is correct it enables only a very limited use-case
(download keys to be able to check signatures).

One still has to publish keys with signatures somehow...

Thanks a lot,
Andrei