Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Friday 05 July 2019 12:08:45 David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 05 Jul 2019 at 06:06:30 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Is below the literal output of the cat above?
> > >
> > > Please post also /etc/network/interfaces.

> > > It doesn't, but IPv6 is not your problem anyway.
>
> […]
>
> > > In addition to the full /etc/network/interfaces please post also
> > > the output of
> >
> > Its unmodified, and contains only the line to source whatever may be
> > in the interfaces.d directory.
>
> Technically, that just doesn't cut it, and I'm not sure what makes you
> coy about posting them. Which files get used depends on how the source
> line is expressed (source/source-directory), and then on what the
> filenames are for the files which you cat'd with * (that have to match
> a filename pattern).
>
> On Debian, it's normal for the d-i to write (and sometimes unwrite)
> the /e/n/i file. But what gets written depends on the installation
> method. But it's not even clear that you used the d-i to install your
> system, if I've followed the thrread correctly.

d-i? Define please so we're both on the same jargon page.  And yes, until
N-M was sufficiently house broken & trained to leave a static setup
alone, and it had so many dependencies you could only neuter it by a
chatttr +i on the stuff you didn't want it editing. Or find it and use
the F8 key in mc.  Six of one, half a dozen of the other as later as
wheezy.

> As I've said, though, I'll go no further in looking at the problems
> you have because I think that many of them are of your own making.

Thats also true, simply because I'm the last one on the planet using
hosts files and no dhcpd's of any kind. So no one has answered me with a
howto to get rid of all the 169.254.xx.xx bull shit in my network
configs that stopped it from working.  I turned out, after I had removed
ALL the avahi sources, it was still there, so I next killed dhcp, no
effect, but it all disappeared when I removed dhcpd5, that stopped all
the poisoning of my network configs.

IMO having a dhcpd5 invent bogus numbers when there is not an accessable
server, is both a huge security hole that could be exploited, and
grounds for 30 lashes useing a cat-o-9-tails made out of wet noodles
being applied to whoever thought it was a good idea.  It was, IMNSHO, a
very very bad idea.

> Not a shotgun (I liked that image), but a nuclear bomb: you said it
> yourself.

Given a sufficiently large pile of sheckles, I could probably make one,
as I am fairly well up in the physics. My formal education may have
stopped in the 9th grade, but my informal has never stopped. I read with
high interest the makings of what may yet be a TOE that includes dark
matter and gravity, all based on 5 events that are outside of the
expected boundaries of neutrino physics, detected by both ICE CUBE and
ANITA down near the south pole. It should still be on the front page of
most webish news sites. Events that are well beyond the newly rebuilt
LHC's ability to duplicate.
> […]
>
> > There are folks here who will violently disapprove of my
> > sledgehammer or shotgun approach to this, and I would remind people
> > that I bought these things to USE, and whatever makes them usable is
> > what I will do.  As shipped, the armhf images are NOT usable. Make
> > them usable as shipped, and I will use them as shipped. It really is
> > that simple.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett