Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Fri 05 Jul 2019 at 06:06:30 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > pi@picnc:~ $ cat /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
> >
> > Is below the literal output of the cat above?
> >
> > Please post also /etc/network/interfaces.
> >
> > > auto eth0
> > >
> > > iface eth0 inet static
> > > address 192.168.71.12/24
> > > gateway 192.168.71.1
> > > post-up echo 1 > /proc/sysy/ipv6/conf/$IFACE/disable_ipv6
> > >
> > > Which the last line disables ipv6  on this machines mostly stretch
> > > install.
> >
> > It doesn't, but IPv6 is not your problem anyway.

[…]

> > In addition to the full /etc/network/interfaces please post also the
> > output of
>
> Its unmodified, and contains only the line to source whatever may be in
> the interfaces.d directory.

Technically, that just doesn't cut it, and I'm not sure what makes you
coy about posting them. Which files get used depends on how the source
line is expressed (source/source-directory), and then on what the
filenames are for the files which you cat'd with * (that have to match
a filename pattern).

On Debian, it's normal for the d-i to write (and sometimes unwrite)
the /e/n/i file. But what gets written depends on the installation
method. But it's not even clear that you used the d-i to install your
system, if I've followed the thrread correctly.

As I've said, though, I'll go no further in looking at the problems
you have because I think that many of them are of your own making.
Not a shotgun (I liked that image), but a nuclear bomb: you said it
yourself.

[…]

> There are folks here who will violently disapprove of my sledgehammer or
> shotgun approach to this, and I would remind people that I bought these
> things to USE, and whatever makes them usable is what I will do.  As
> shipped, the armhf images are NOT usable. Make them usable as shipped,
> and I will use them as shipped. It really is that simple.

Cheers,
David.