Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Thursday 04 July 2019 12:18:13 Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 11:40:30AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Some of us are still working every day to earn that paycheck at the
> end of the month, you know ;)

Yeah, terrible state of affairs. :)  Social Security, the biggest ponzi
scheme on the planet. If you or I done it. they'd jack up the jail,
throw us under it and set it back down on us. And claim they've never
heard of us. :(

> > pi@picnc:~ $ cat /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
> > auto eth0
> >
> > iface eth0 inet static
> > address 192.168.71.12/24
> > gateway 192.168.71.1
> > post-up echo 1 > /proc/sysy/ipv6/conf/$IFACE/disable_ipv6
> >
> > > ip r # short for 'ip route'
> >
> > pi@picnc:~ $ ip r
> > default dev eth0 scope link src 169.254.163.253 metric 202
> > 169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0 scope link src 169.254.163.253 metric 202
> > 192.168.71.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.71.12
>
> These caught my attention.
> What about this trick (metric is 1024 unless you define it, and
> default route with lower metric wins):

Those that are set are set to metric 202.  And the metric 24 had no
effect, and error someplace it does not identify.

> auto eth0
> 	iface eth0 inet static
> 	address 192.168.71.12/24
> 	gateway 192.168.71.1
> 	metric 64
> 	post-up echo 1 > /proc/sysy/ipv6/conf/$IFACE/disable_ipv6
But I'll leave it that way and reboot, which means I'll have to goto its
own keyboard and restart ssh. Which then works...???  Why is that?

> There's also another dirty trick:
>
> mkdir /etc/systemd/system/avahi-daemon.service.d
> cat > /etc/systemd/system/avahi-daemon.service.d/override.conf <<EOF
> [Service]
> PrivateNetwork=yes
> EOF
> systemctl daemon-reload
> systemctl restart avahi-daemon

With it purged, waste of time by my reasoning, but I'll print this and go
do it anyway.

> I'd also consider exterminating avahi with extreme prejudice, i.e.
> 'apt purge avahi-daemon'. Really simplifies things. Not installing
> this software in the first place works even better.

That also has been done just before a powerdown reboot. But now, even
though service ssh status says it up and running, I can't login from
here. And getting rid of avahi and libnsswch or whatever its called made
no difference in the ip a or ip r reports. But hang on, I'm going to see
why ssh isn't working at all now.

Thanks Reco

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)