Re: Choice of VMs under i386 Stretch?

On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 11:26:39AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
If it had been done 10 years ago it wouldn't need to be done now. :)

(General observation: it's really quite annoying that you remove all attribution when you quote previous emails in your replies.)

VMs running on a core 2 definitely have unfixable security issues and aren't
great performers.  That certainly limits the use cases.

AFAIK all CPUs since also have unfixable security issues (spectre).
So I'm not sure it makes much difference.

That's not true, but I really don't want to start another thread against CPU FUD so I'll leave it at that.

As for efficiency, AFAIK the production of a laptop takes more
energy than all the electricity it uses in its lifetime, so using my old
laptop is arguably more efficient.

That's a bogus argument when applied to secondhand hardware. When comparing two pieces of used hardware and effectively deciding which one gets thrown away, there's no particular virtue in choosing the older (probably less power efficient) one.

I only pointed out that running a VM in a 32bit system is not silly at all.

Humans do a lot of things that are objectively silly for their own amusement.