Re: How Buster release may affect Unstable?

On 2019-07-01, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> Debian's main selling point is that a Stable can *always* be upgraded
> in place to the next version, so that kind of incompatibility does not

Then it will fail to live up to the marketing for the brave 600 or so
Debian users (according to Popularity Contest) regularly employing
ecryptfs-utils:

 The ecryptfs-utils package is not part of buster due to an unfixed
 serious bug (#765854). At the time of writing this paragraph, there was
 no clear advice for users of eCryptfs, except not to upgrade.

And yet the serious unfixed bug doesn't appear to even belong to
ecryptfs-utils per se, but rather to systemd:

 systemd-user doesn't properly close its PAM session #8598

 The systemd --user instance that is started when a user first logs in (if
 pam_systemd is enabled) starts a subprocess "(sd-pam)" that opens a PAM session
 for the user, using the "systemd-user" service name. See setup_pam() in
 src/core/execute.c.

 However, this PAM session is not properly closed.

Which results, in my understanding of the thing, in a Private directory
not being unmounted at user logout (ecryptfs-umount-private believing
one session is still remaining) and "bug" #765854.