Re: Diagnosing what applications are doing

Quoting Erik Josefsson (2019-06-15 08:24:40)
> On 5/26/19 4:36 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-05-26 16:25:43)
> > [...]
> >> One thing that will "freeze" it is using its own download
> >> facilities to fetch the mail, used to bug me pretty badly, but when
> >> it did come back, everything I had typed into a message came back
> >> with it.  So I offloaded that fetching of emails by making
> >> fetchmail, procmail, clamscan and spamassassin all into background
> >> tasks that have minimal effect on kmail.  Now my freezes are maybe
> >> a second as it sorts an incoming email that has servived the spam
> >> and viri filters.
> > Good point!  (this is Thunderbird not KMail but still applies)
> >
> > For IMAP mail, I recommend more modern alternatives to fetchmail:
> >
> >    * pullimap
> >    * offlineimap

Correction: My recommendations are _interimap_ and offlineimap.

pullimap is related to interimap but does a different task of
client-side sending emails from an IMAP folder, e.g. on a self-hosted
server with IMAP service but no SMTP service (SMTP is more complex to
self-host due to spam and domain registry challenges).

> Could you recommend one of them to use with an install of the
> box-add-gui alternative for Teres-I?

I recommend them for use with Debian systems, regardless of how they
were bootstrapped.

I have not yet used interimap myself, but have high expectations for its
quality and encouraged its author to get it packaged for Debian a year
ago, where I sought advice from him on my own Dovecot-specific sync
scripts and he told about interimap being developed but not in Debian.
He actually lives in Sweden like you, Erik. :-)

When I get around to using it myself I will likely add it to one of the
addon profiles of the https://box.redpill.dk/ images but not the gui
profile specifically: It is a command-line tool, not graphical.

> As far as I can see, pullimap needs libconfig-tiny-perl and
> libinterimap, and offlineimap needs python-imaplib2 and python-socks.
>
> Perhaps one is more lightweight than the other?

interimap should be more efficient but requires a good IMAP server like
Dovecot (see package description) whereas offlineimap works with a wider
variety of servers including Gmail.

 - Jonas