Re: Using ISO image of installer DVD as repository - How?

On 05/31/2019 01:31 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

new idea after googling and finding several examples like Dan Ritter's
proposal:

Try the "exact path" form of "suite":

   deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount pool/main/
   deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount pool/contrib/

or the usual form without mentioning (demanding ?) "stretch":

   deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount pool main contrib

Reasoning:

You report this program message:
The repository 'file:/home/richard/dvdmount/pool stretch Release'
does not have a Release file.

/mnt/iso/pool has "main" and "contrib" but no "stretch".

man 5 sources.list says:

        deb [ options ] uri suite [component1] [component2] [...]
     [...]
     can specify an exact path, in which case the components must be omitted
     and suite must end with a slash (/). This is useful for the case when
     only a particular sub-section of the archive denoted by the URI is of
     interest. If suite does not specify an exact path, at least one
     component must be present.

Suite "stretch" is neither "exact path" nor does it appear in the pool
tree of DVD 1.

Further for the "exact path" case:

     In the traditional style sources.list format since only one
     distribution can be specified per line it may be necessary to have
     multiple lines for the same URI, if a subset of all available
     distributions or components at that location is desired.

I first tried
  deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount pool main contrib
Then
  deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount pool/main/
  deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount pool/contrib/

Both gave " ... does not have a Release file" messages.
The later also said:
Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and
is therefore disabled by default.See apt-secure(8) manpage
for repository creation and user configuration details.

I suspect I'm running up against two things:
1. Documentation (esp man pages) authors assume *ALL* readers have
   the same background they do. I don't. {I was on the other side
   ~50 years ago as an Engineering Co-op student writing the
   inspection manual for a new oscilloscope ;}
2. Changes in what apt identifies acceptable repositories.

I'm reading or re-reading:
   https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/index.en.html

   https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/aptitude/index.en.html

   https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/apt/apt.8.en.html

   https://manpages.debian.org/jessie/apt/apt.8.en.html

   https://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt/TufDerivedImprovements

   https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/apt/apt-secure.8.en.html

   https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/apt/sources.list.5.en.html
with special focus on
   https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/aptitude/index.en.html
   https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/apt.en.html
    "Chapter 6. Maintenance and Updates: The APT Tools"

I intend to experiment with modifying files in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d rather than modifying sources.list. This will require I dedicate a separate machine to the experiment. I will also use that machine to compare stretch to earlier releases.