Re: Problems {PEBKAC?} running mmdebstrap for 1st time

On 05/30/2019 07:51 AM, Curt wrote:
On 2019-05-27, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

That left me with the problem of telling the instance of apt being run
internally by mmdebstrap that dvd1.iso is trusted. I unsuccessfully
tried using the distribution DVD itself.

What is the proper syntax to use dvd1.iso {preferred} or DVD in drive
{last resort} as my repository?

I'm uncertain how mmdebstrap works exactly, but I wonder, as it can be
fed a '/etc/apt/sources.list' file, if the latter contained a line for
your in-drive dvd (via 'apt-cdrom add', for example) whether that would work
(unsure just how and when mmdebstrap updates apt's package index).

  cat /etc/apt/sources.list | mmdebstrap > stable-chroot.tar

or is it

  mmdebstrap < /etc/apt/sources.list > stable-chroot.tar

Those must be equivalent, I guess.

Equivalent? Don't know.
2nd looks like quote from man page <chuckle>
I had made explicit choice to use "--xyz" format. Why? Forgot ;/

Up until a couple of years ago I only had dial-up. Install DVDs {or their images} were my only choice for a repository. There are {now forgotten} apt related quirks to be aware of. I'm now giving myself a refresher course on using an install DVD ( or image ) as a repository.

Earlier this morning I proved why you don't experiment in your default setup. I have a partition set aside for experiments. This morning I managed to trash my 'experimenter' partition.

More later.