Re: reboot stuff doesn't start

On Wednesday 29 May 2019 12:22:41 am Reco wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 04:52:52PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Any POSIX-compliant shell knows about '-e', bash included.
> > > Your own rc.local has this shebang: #!/bin/sh -e

> > > dash(1) references it. bash(1) lists '-e' as an option to "set"
> > > command.

> > > Quoting bash(1):
> > >
> > >   -e  Exit  immediately if a pipeline (which may consist of a
> > > single simple command), a list, or a compound command (see SHELL
> > > GRAMMAR above), exits with a non-zero status.
> >
> > How about a daemon that never exits, but does report its pid on the
> > next line when launched with a trailing &
>
> They call such programs a curious perversion in IT usually.
> Luckily it does not matter for the start-stop-daemon (it can derive
> pid more straightforward way) nor it does matter to systemd (there are
> cgroups for that).
>
> > I'm also seeing several can't connect to d-bus messages, only ID'd
> > by the pid.  That means whatever its pid is, isn't working.
>
> Like I wrote earlier - nothing that you put into rc.local belongs
> there. I suppose that the thing is written to be launched from the
> inside the user session, where you have dbus session already.
>
> Reco
This is intended to be started after I login.  If d-bus isn't before I
login, then obviously I need to move it to someplace thats run after
I've logged in.

Where would that be? Someplace inside ~Desktop? but its empty now.

But I am using trinity, so maybe ~.trinity/Autostart?  Its also empty.

The point is that all this worked flawlessly on wheezy. d-bus was
apparently running by the time the login popped up.

Thanks for any good ideas, Reco

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)