Re: IPV6 hosts file (was: Re: That time IPv6 farted in Gene's church (Was Re: forcedeth?))

On 28.05.19 14:59, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 08:51:41AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > But who or what is the gatekeeper to make sure the address you choose,
> > supposedly at random, isn't in use someplace next door or half the
> > planet away?  There may be some sort of an enforcement in ipv6, but I've
> > not heard of it. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that if it
> > does, I've never read about it.
>
> I refer you (second time today, hint, hint) to this page from Wikipedia:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address#IPv6

That gives a vague nebulous overview, but Gene needs a bit more detail.
A quick google of "linux static ipv6 address howto" gave some promising
looking hits. I liked the look of the third hit:

https://kb.wisc.edu/ns/page.php?id=14099

While the example is aimed at a specific site, it shows the files to be
edited, and IIUC, FE80 is for local addressing, like ipv4 non-routable
address ranges, so it should be generally applicable, I figure.

The tutorial in the second hit:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-ipv6-networking-configuration/

might be worth a try next, using an FE80 address, I figure.

Use your google foo, Gene! There's so much chaff out there, and life's
too short to be sorting the wheat out with tweezers.

Erik