Re: IPV6 hosts file (was: Re: That time IPv6 farted in Gene's church (Was Re: forcedeth?))

On Tuesday 28 May 2019 07:00:13 am Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 27.05.19 17:06, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Thats fine, shows the loop local stuff, but how does one determine
> > the ipv6 address for picnc.coyote.den for instance. I think it
> > somehow related to picnc's mac address, but thats just a WAG.
>
> On coyote, it'll look something like line 3:
>
> $ ifconfig -a
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:31:20:c2:5f:5e
>
>           inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255
> Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: fe81::231:19ff:fea1:4f4e/64 Scope:Link
>

> But if in doubt, set it to something you like, then add it to
> /etc/hosts on the others, I figure. (Haven't yet fussed with IPV6,
> myself.)
>
> Erik
yes/no. ipv6 from what I understand, expands the ip space so everything
on the planet for the forseeable future can have its own address, hence
the IOT where you fridge takes inventory including the age of that block
of cheese in the door, and sends you a shopping list.  But what if the
address you're using has 3 duplicates "out there"?

But who or what is the gatekeeper to make sure the address you choose,
supposedly at random, isn't in use someplace next door or half the
planet away?  There may be some sort of an enforcement in ipv6, but I've
not heard of it. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that if it
does, I've never read about it.

I'd like to read an informed discusson of how that is supposed to work.
> P.S. Yes, there's doubtless an "ip" way to show addresses too. BMG.

yes, ip a and ip r for showning route. I have learn that much about ip.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)