Re: reboot stuff doesn't start

On Monday 27 May 2019 03:31:42 pm Reco wrote:

> > > It does for me.
> > >
> > > First,

> > > Any execution error will terminate the script.
> > >

> > > Second,

> > > It fails here, or at any of the later sshfs invocations.
> > > Either your resolver is broken or remote sshd does not function.
> > >
> > > Note - you're doing it wrong by configuring per-user mounts at
> > > systemwide level. They invented systemd user-level services just
> > > for that.
> >
> > humm how about anls -l /sshnet/*
>
> And that's supposed to prove what exactly?
> That sshfs works once you configured your NICs and have the resolver
> working and run all this stuff by hand?
> rc-local.service formally depends on network.target, but that does not
> mean all your interfaces are configured by the time /etc/rc.local is
> actually run.
>
> > > Also,

> > > But overriding it this way will only work until the first 'udevadm
> > > trigger' or USB device hotplug.
> > > They invented 'dialout' group (and use it by default) to avoid
> > > such kludges, consider using it.
> >
> > So I should make heyu a member of group dialout?  It is not now:
> > gene@coyote:~$ grep dialout /etc/group
> > dialout:x:20:gene
>
> Your rc.local contents do not contain any hint on why would you need
> 0666 permission on /dev/ttyUSB0. Sure, you needed it for something.
> Maybe it even solved some problem.
> You do not name your problem so I cannot comment on whenever adding a
> certain custom user to dialout group can solve it or not.

heyu did not like the seriel ports default params, so I asked on the heyu
list, about 2 years ago, Ed Dipold, a regular on that list suggested I
try 0666 and chown it to me. Worked flawlessly UNTIL I bought a new 2T
drive and installed stretch 3 weeks ago.  And has worked only
intermittently since.

Right now its as if the cm-11a has died, and I note its not running more
than a degree or so over ambient, not as warm as before. If I get some
spare time tomorrow I'll open it and check for smoked parts. I hate to
do that as those things make even old radio shack stuff look like
Cadillac quality stuff.

FWIW, I have what used to be a 1st phone FCC license, and I am a C.E.T.
and I know which end of a soldering iron gets hot as I have several,
also a dual trace 1GHS/a sec scope and all the other tools of the trade.
I also sat in the CE's chair at the local cbs affiliate from 1984 to
2002.  The chair never got fully warmed up though, as I did it by myself
at least half of that time.

I'll shut my horn off now.

> > > And,

> > > this just cries 'put me into systemd unit'.
> > > Abusing shell's background in rc.local is good for all those
> > > enterprisey "i-dont-know-what-im-doing" devopses. Don't be like
> > > them.
> >
> > And the docs on how to do that are where?
>
> Google. [1] may or may not be of help.

It wasn't.

> Any *service file at /lib/systemd/system can serve as a template.
>
> Reco

Buried under a pyramid, no wonder I couldn't find it. Thanks a bunch.

> [1] https://wiki.debian.org/systemd

That too.  Thanks Reco.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)