Re: Insidious systemd

On Mon, 27 May 2019 20:25:11 +0200
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> >> You could switch to Devuan - it's like a Debian but without this
> >> SystemD crap of 1.2 million code lines.
> >> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Systemd-1.2-Million
> >
> > I am aware of Devuan, but at the time I installed Stretch (about a
> > year ago after long term support of Wheezy ceased), Devuan ASCII was not
> > ready. Plus, I was wary of Devuan's support. That opinion has changed
> > since ASCII's release.
> >
> > Thanks for your input.
>
> depending on how systemd free you want to be - I use
>
> sysv-rc
> sysvinit-core
> sysvinit-utils
>
> which automatically makes old init the default init, which is the most
> important part. I don't mind systemd staying around.

I used the "approved" conversion documented on Debian's web site
somewhere: apt (or apt-get) install sysvinit-core.  The other files you
listed above were installed as dependencies, but I knew they were
needed from my research. The install REMOVED systemd-sysv and put
sysvinit in its place, and did all the conversion stuff.  Totally
automatic. All of systemd's libraries remained along with udev and a
couple others I don't recall.  It freed up about 6 or 7 MB of RAM over a
systemd boot.

I did the conversion on a minimal terminal only system after the
install reboot before installing X, Openbox, etc. to build my final
system.

I haven't checked to see if Buster will be the same.