Re: reboot stuff doesn't start

	Hi.

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 05:45:56PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 26 May 2019 12:13:38 pm john doe wrote:
>
> > On 5/26/2019 5:32 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Greetings all;
> > >
> > > New stretch install about 2 weeks ago, cleaning up the remains.
> > > Fresh disk, so no leftovers. But lots of stuff has been copied over
> > > from the wheezy disk since
> > >
> > > I have spamassassin enabled in my rc5.d, and I start heyu engine and
> > > heyu monitor in my rc.local for several years , but neither one is
> > > actually being started now.
> > >
> > > I can restart spamassassin once logged it, ditto for heyu and
> > > friends.
> > >
> > > Why don't they start when they're supposed to?
> >
> > Look at the service 'rc.local'.:
> >
> > $ systemctl status/enable rc.local
>
> hummmmm....:
> root@coyote:GenesAmandaHelper-0.61$ systemctl status rc.local
> May 25 12:03:03 coyote rc.local[884]: read: Connection reset by peer

> None of which gives me the faintest clue whats wrong with it.

It does for me.

First,

> root@coyote:GenesAmandaHelper-0.61$ cat /etc/rc.local
> #!/bin/sh -e

Any execution error will terminate the script.

Second,

> # mount the sshfs shares. Suggested way didn't work,
> # so changed syntax to this, which does
> su gene -c "sshfs gene@shop:/ /sshnet/shop"

It fails here, or at any of the later sshfs invocations.
Either your resolver is broken or remote sshd does not function.

Note - you're doing it wrong by configuring per-user mounts at
systemwide level. They invented systemd user-level services just for
that.

Also,

> # Now, udev is being a cast iron bitch,

But overriding it this way will only work until the first 'udevadm
trigger' or USB device hotplug.
They invented 'dialout' group (and use it by default) to avoid such
kludges, consider using it.

And,

> # Now, need some heyu stuff run
> su gene -c "/usr/local/bin/heyu engine &"
> su gene -c "/usr/local/bin/heyu monitor &"

this just cries 'put me into systemd unit'.
Abusing shell's background in rc.local is good for all those enterprisey
"i-dont-know-what-im-doing" devopses. Don't be like them.

In short, everything in your rc.local does not belong there.

Reco