Re: Keyboard not responding after exiting X

On Mon 20 May 2019 at 14:15:18 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 20 May 2019 01:43:52 pm Brian wrote:

> > > looks like it could be rough. Maybe I should get yet another drive
> > > and do a fresh install...  That way I'd have a fallback just by
> > > switching sata cables around.
> >
> > What is "rough" about
> >
> > 1. Alter sources.list
> > 2. apt update
> > 3. apt upgrde
> > 4. apt full-upgrade ?
> >
> > If it was any simpler, there would be complaints that upgrading from
> > one Debian version to another is too smooth. :)
> >
> > There is a school of thought which maintains that a reininstallation
> > is preferable to an upgrade when there is a new stable. You appear to
> > belong to this school, which is fine.
>
> But there are probably 400+ additions to the stretch install
> I did 2 weeks ago. For starters, trinity r14.0.6 has been installed.
>
> What becomes of those?

That's *your* problem. trinity isn't part of Debian. As for the other 399+
additions; who knows where they came from.

Hvaing said that, I would expect Debian to cope with an idiosyncratic
installation to the best of its ability. But it cannot work wonders.

> Since it doesn't seem possible to sandbox jail N-M sufficiently
> (and debian put dependencies back in it so it cannot be removed without
> destroying the whole system) to keep it from tearing down a perfectly
> working STATICly defined network and replaceing resolv.conf with only a
> # comment, will the dist-upgrade just ignore the chattr +i's scattered
> about or will it die as soon as its destroyed the network? Then my
> fallback boot will be several generations old, with enough changes to
> ext4 to make it dangerous to mount the new for repairs.
>
> This is why I generally install on a new drive. Then I at least have a
> working fallback install so I can email or browse for answers.

A new buster install is probably your best option.

--
Brian.