Re: Keyboard not responding after exiting X

On Monday 20 May 2019 01:43:52 pm Brian wrote:

> On Mon 20 May 2019 at 10:39:39 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > The release notes are still being written, but:
> > >
> > > https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgr
> > >adin g.en.html
> >
> > looks like it could be rough. Maybe I should get yet another drive
> > and do a fresh install...  That way I'd have a fallback just by
> > switching sata cables around.
>
> What is "rough" about
>
> 1. Alter sources.list
> 2. apt update
> 3. apt upgrde
> 4. apt full-upgrade ?
>
> If it was any simpler, there would be complaints that upgrading from
> one Debian version to another is too smooth. :)
>
> There is a school of thought which maintains that a reininstallation
> is preferable to an upgrade when there is a new stable. You appear to
> belong to this school, which is fine.

But there are probably 400+ additions to the stretch install
I did 2 weeks ago. For starters, trinity r14.0.6 has been installed.

What becomes of those?

Since it doesn't seem possible to sandbox jail N-M sufficiently
(and debian put dependencies back in it so it cannot be removed without
destroying the whole system) to keep it from tearing down a perfectly
working STATICly defined network and replaceing resolv.conf with only a
# comment, will the dist-upgrade just ignore the chattr +i's scattered
about or will it die as soon as its destroyed the network? Then my
fallback boot will be several generations old, with enough changes to
ext4 to make it dangerous to mount the new for repairs.

This is why I generally install on a new drive. Then I at least have a
working fallback install so I can email or browse for answers.

Thanks Brian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)