Re: Fully automatic installation of Debian made simple

On Wed, 2019-05-15 at 22:53 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
> Great!  Sounds wonderful.
>
> If I want to set up a VirtualBox VM to run this, what packages/tasks do I want to install other than bare-bones Debian?  Then what do I do, once I have Debian plus packages installed?  I’ve never used Docker before, so please assume I’m a complete newbie at that part of it,,,
>

> Thanks!
> Rick
>

> > On May 15, 2019, at 1:37 AM, André Rodier <andre@rodier.me> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Debian users,
> >
> > For those who are interested in fully automatic installation of Debian,
> > I have published something that you'll find useful.
> >
> > It allows you to create a fully automatic Debian installation disk very
> > easily, using a simple YAML file to describe the system and docker to
> > build the ISO image.
> >
> > For now, there are three flavours you can use:
> >
> > - lvm: Simple logical volume on one disk, no encryption.
> > - raid: Create an ISO image with software RAID and LVM (RAID1, two
> > disks).
> > - luks: Create and ISO image with fully encrypted disk (one disk only).
> >
> > It has been tested on Debian Stretch only for now.
> >
> > Also:
> >
> > - AppArmor activated on boot.
> > - Root password set.
> > - Your SSH public key is installed for root.
> >
> > https://github.com/progmaticltd/debian-iso-builder
> >
> > A big thanks to simple-cdd and reprepro, this could not have been
> > possible without these tools.
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > --
> > André Rodier

Hello Rick,

As far as I know, you do not need to use a virtual machine to run
Docker, maybe on MacOS, but I am not too familiar with this.

I can describe how it works on Linux, and I am happy to accept pull
requests from Windows or MacOS users.

The process on Linux is pretty straightforward:

- Copy the YAML sample file in the config folder (system-example.yml)
- Customise some values (disk scheme, passphrase/password, locale, etc)
- Run the bash script build.sh
- The ISO image is in /tmp/debian-images/isos/

This was initially part of homebox, but this is useful to other
projects, so I extracted it to a dedicated repository.

Onec the ISO image is build, you can use it to start a virtual machine
or a physical one. I tested it both.

Contributions are welcome.

André
--