Re: knockd package long-standing bug

>Hello,
>
>Bug #868015 has been open since Jul 2017 and the fix consists in 3 lines
>added to the system unit file. I.e. knockd.service lacks the [Install]
>section and thus the service can't be made to auto-start after a reboot.
>Since the maintainer doesn't seem interested in fixing it (source: sent
>him a mail 6 days ago, on top of the long-standing bug report), is there
>something I can do as a user to get the fix into the repository?
>
>Best regards,
>Riccardo

Hi Riccardo, I'll take a chance at answering your question.  I am just a
user like you on debian-user list.  This bug doesn't seem to be long
standing, some bugs go several years before everybody can agree about the
right way to go forward.  But we won't quibble about something like time
measurement, will we?

Assuming you are serious, and want to help the project, then I would test
the proposed patch and make sure it works in several configurations on
several architectures.  Report the results to the bug tracker.  Sometimes
there are different versions of a pkg that have subtle differences.  A
patch that works on one arch might totally screw some other users over,
and nobody wants that.

Also, sometimes people die, or have personal issues, the maintainer
might have an issue with communication, but it doesn't always mean the
person is AWOL.  Is the pkg abandoned?

If so, you might be able to help get a new maintainer, just posting on the
list probably started the ball rolling down this hill.

In the meantime, if the workaround solves the problem, since it is not
release critical bug, I'd think it probably can't get into the repo until
a new upstream ver is released, but I am wrong all the time...

Thanks,
bw