knockd package long-standing bug

Hello,

Bug #868015 has been open since Jul 2017 and the fix consists in 3 lines added to the system unit file. I.e. knockd.service lacks the [Install] section and thus the service can't be made to auto-start after a reboot.
Since the maintainer doesn't seem interested in fixing it (source: sent him a mail 6 days ago, on top of the long-standing bug report), is there something I can do as a user to get the fix into the repository?

Best regards,
Riccardo