Re: (unknown)

On 2019-05-11, Esteban L <esteban@little-beak.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have this weird situation, I can't figure out.
>
> I can launch the Remote Desktop Viewer from the command line:
>
> %vinagre
>
> and it launches and is fully functional.
>
> When I try to launch it from the "desktop icons" or the icons that are
> present within gnome, i cannot.
>
> A little bar appear on the top of the menu bar, that it is working on
> opening, then nothing, closes. No window ever makes it to my X-window.
>
> When I watch my /var/log/syslog log, I can see this error.
> May 11 00:59:39 debianWorkstation vinagre-file.desktop[3290]: Missing
> argument for -F
>
> When I dig into my /home user, namely:
> ~/.gnome/apps/vinagre-file.desktop
> I can find this line:
> Exec=vinagre -F %U
>

> So after all this digging, I can only conclude it is some type of gnome
> error. Unfortunately, I don't know Gnome very well, since it has almost
> always just worked as expected.
>
> What does the %U variable mean? user?
>
> Any tips hints or otherwise would be greatly appreciated. =)

curty@einstein:~$ vinagre -F
Missing argument for -F

The -F flag is supposed to be followed by the name(s) of a vnc file.

There are some pretty old bugs flying around like yours.

I would edit the desktop file.

 Exec=vinagre %U

seems to work from the command line (the app opens), although a dialogue box(?)
appears, saying:

       Connection closed
 Connection to host %U was closed.

Not a deal-breaker.

https://developer.gnome.org/integration-guide/stable/desktop-files.html.en

 Table 1-2 Exec variables

 Add...	Accepts...
 %f	a single filename.
 %F	multiple filenames.
 %u	a single URL.
 %U	multiple URLs.
 %d	a single directory. Used in conjunction with %f to locate a file.
 %D	multiple directories. Used in conjunction with %F to locate files.
 %n	a single filename without a path.
 %N	multiple filenames without paths.
 %k	a URI or local filename of the location of the desktop file.
 %v	the name of the Device entry.

Good luck.
--
Mrs Hessler, the teacher, considered me her employee, and I played along with
this to keep the frown off that somewhat shapeless face she had crowned with an