Re: Is it possible to install Debian in such a case.

David Wright composed on 2019-05-10 13:32 (UTC-0500):

> On Fri 10 May 2019 at 12:06:05 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:

>> what I virtually always do, install from network, beginning with fetching
>> <http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/amd64/initrd.gz>
>> and
>> <http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/amd64/linux>
>> and placing them where Grub can find and load them.

> So I'm looking for the page that has those instructions. Do you know
> where it is?

It's not all on https://wiki.debian.org/Grub which only has the standard Grub2
boilerplate, to get from A to B one must first divert to C and then D. :-p There
is a small piece of it hidden in its first FAQ (/etc/grub.d/40_custom).

> It would list the requirements, what to put where, and where in the
> d-i process you arrive after booting.
> (d-i ≡ debian-installer, for the OP.)

Try putting this in custom.cfg in a bootable stick directory containing grub.cfg:

menuentry "Install Debian via HTTP" {
	search --no-floppy --label --set=root <USBSTICKLABEL>
	linux	/boot/linux
	initrd	/boot/initrd.gz
}

Once that's done, the stick booted, and the selection made, the d-i app takes over
by asking the exact same questions as if having booted from the NET iso.

No USB stick (or OM, or PXE) is needed for linux and initrd.gz if the target
system already has a loadable Grub (any bootloader really, syslinux, rEFInd,
others) installed anywhere, which is the standard installation method in my routine.

Of course, this much detail shouldn't be needed by those who have more than a
passing familiarity with using Grub. When I see "we" instead of "I" in an OP, as
for this thread, I assume "we" means more than one person, a group, which ought to
possess more than a passing familiarity using Grub, hence my keeping my reply short.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/