Re: Is it possible to install Debian in such a case.

On 05/10/2019 05:52 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 05:29:48AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 05/10/2019 03:48 AM, An Liu wrote:
Hi, List

Image the following case

What I Have.
a USB stick with

[...]

Missing background? Unstated goals?

I've got the feeling that I don't understand your question completely.

That is essentially my comment to the OP.

1. Why is grub mentioned at all?
    If debian-9.9.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso has been properly placed on USB
    drive [...]

Well, there's a boot loader in that (AFAIK it's not GRUB, but it's
a while ago I last looked). As I understood An Liu, the idea was
to understand how all that pieces fit together, so asking for the
boot loader seems relevant.

That's one of a number of possible guesses of OP's intent.
I've asked questions others have thought vague though I thought were quite explicit. People read through lenses of their personal experience and assumptions.

    A. machine's hard-drive.
    B. a second USB drive. [be careful to place grub on correct drive]

That was cautionary, primarily to future newbies who might need an explicit statement of what is obvious to the experienced.

2. Why are vmliunz and initrd.gz mentioned?

Those come directly "after" the boot loader (so they are part of the
boot /and/ of the installation process, too).

Cheers
-- tomás