Re: Is it possible to install Debian in such a case.

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 05:29:48AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 05/10/2019 03:48 AM, An Liu wrote:
> >Hi, List
> >
> >Image the following case
> >
> >What I Have.
> >a USB stick with

[...]

> Missing background? Unstated goals?

I've got the feeling that I don't understand your question completely.

> 1. Why is grub mentioned at all?
>    If debian-9.9.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso has been properly placed on USB
>    drive [...]

Well, there's a boot loader in that (AFAIK it's not GRUB, but it's
a while ago I last looked). As I understood An Liu, the idea was
to understand how all that pieces fit together, so asking for the
boot loader seems relevant.

>    A. machine's hard-drive.
>    B. a second USB drive. [be careful to place grub on correct drive]
>
> 2. Why are vmliunz and initrd.gz mentioned?

Those come directly "after" the boot loader (so they are part of the
boot /and/ of the installation process, too).

Cheers
-- tomás