Re: Help tracking down a random beep

Thanks to all who replied -- see below:

On Thursday, May 09, 2019 02:10:16 AM Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> On 5/8/19, Charlie Kravetz <charlie@keepingdreams.com> wrote:
> > Possibly an open website? Some of those become very annoying.

I'll look into that -- thankfully that is the computer that probably has only
30 to 40 tabs / webpages open, not close to a thousand like my other machine
;-)

> I had something similar that sounded like a little 6" Elf sneezing in
> my little ASUS laptop/netbook.

Now I have to find a 6" Elf and blow some pepper in his face ;-)

> Same deal where it was very sporadic.
> It turned out to most likely be a warning that it was about to *CLICK*
> off due to overheating..
>
> $ sensors -f

Sensors -f didnt work, so I had to install lm-sensors (which means sensors is
not the source of the beep (you didn't say it was, but I guess it was a
possibility (and man sensors doesn't say anything about a beep).

The CPU (~115 F) and MB (~85F) temperature and fan speeds (case and CPU both
around 2200 of a possible (according to sensors) 7200 rpm) all seem to be well
within limits this morning, but I don't hear the beep this morning -- I'll
look again if I start hearing the beep (it is a cooler morning -- maybe I'll
encouter the problem again this (or tomorrow) afternoon.

> ...gets me what I need for now. Others may have better favorites that
> provide really cool feedback. "sensors -f" provides the (hopefully
> correct) CPU temps plus the threshold they're not supposed to touch.
> Also provides fan speed... that's actually a number larger than zero
> in mine these days. :)

Oh, and to Curt (from a different post):

> In the event there is no functional motherboard speaker, I guess it
> cannot be a BIOS alarm of any kind.

Interesting -- I'm not used to / familiar with a speaker on the MB -- in the
old days there was typically a speaker in the case that (if you were building
your own) you had to connect.  (And, so if there is no speaker, the BIOS can't
signal an error?)

> If the OP's somewhere in West Virginia, maybe Gene turned his up so loud
> that it's audible down the block.

I do live in Pa. (which is adjacent to WV), but on the other end of the state
-- we probably have other people complaining if the beep was coming from
Gene's machine. ;-)