Re: Help tracking down a random beep

On 5/8/19, Charlie Kravetz <charlie@keepingdreams.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2019 20:32:49 -0400
> rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>On my Debian Jessie system, for several hours today I've been hearing a
>> beep
>>(through my audio system / speakers / headphones) something like the beep
>> that
>>used to come out of the PC speaker (on older computers -- I don't think I
>> even
>>have that speaker connected on this computer).
>>
>>The beep occurs at fairly random intervals, varying from about 5 seconds
>> and
>>going up to as much as 5 minutes or more.
>>
>>I've tried looking at a lot of the logs, but so far I haven't found any log
>>
>>that tells me anything about that beep (the logs I've looked at include
>>syslog, messages, Xorg, kern, daemon, wtmp (??).
>>
>>Does somebody here have some suggestions on trying to track down the
>> source,
>>preferably without having to shut down any applications or the computer?
>>

> Possibly an open website? Some of those become very annoying.

I had something similar that sounded like a little 6" Elf sneezing in
my little ASUS laptop/netbook. Same deal where it was very sporadic.
It turned out to most likely be a warning that it was about to *CLICK*
off due to overheating..

$ sensors -f

...gets me what I need for now. Others may have better favorites that
provide really cool feedback. "sensors -f" provides the (hopefully
correct) CPU temps plus the threshold they're not supposed to touch.
Also provides fan speed... that's actually a number larger than zero
in mine these days. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey