Re: Installing Debian on iMac

On Mon, 6 May 2019 at 09:28, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> John Hammack wrote:
> >  iMac:  iMac (24-inch, early 2009), Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mem 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3,  OS X El Capitan ver 10.11.6.
> > Objective: Install Debian and software development tools (compilers, interpreters, and support applications for software development.)
> > Progress:  I have searched  the internet and have not found instructions I could follow through to completion.
> > Experience:  Before retirement (1995) I was doing software development on a Hewlett Packard Unix System ((HPUX).  I was then comfortable with the Unix system, BASH and all.
> > Excuse:  I am now living in The Villages FL and with all these old folks there is no one here with which I can discuss OS’s etc.
>
> This shouldn't be hard. It's an Intel PC with an EFI boot
> system. Installing from a Debian netinstall CD
>
> https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-9.9.0-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> should work pretty well. Directions in general at
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/
>
> Feel free to ask more questions here, it's the right place.

Hi again John & welcome here

In addition, note that if your iMac supports booting off a USB drive, then
if you prefer to avoid using optical media you can copy the installation
"CD" image to a USB drive and boot from that, see here:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04.html.en

The "netininst" images are small images that use a working internet
connection to download packages to install during the install process.
There are other larger images you can use if such a network connection
is not available at install time.