Re: Installing Debian on iMac

Hi John, and welcome to the Debian community!

I assume you have a broadband Internet connection where you will be doing this installation?  If so:

You’ll want the Mac specific “netinst” installer image[1] that gets most of its software packages from the Debian mirrors on the Web.
   [1]  https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/>

Take a look at this wiki page[2] for instructions on making a dual-boot MacOS/Debian setup.  The wiki page is aimed at the mac mini but it should mostly carry over for your iMac.  Also, you’ll want to read the wiki page[3] for burning an installer CD under MacOS.
   [2] https://wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel
   [3] https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#record-mac

And, of course, you’ll want to RTFM[4]
   [4] https://www.debian.org/doc/

If you’re not already signed up, you will want to join the debian-user mailing list[5].  That’s where you’ll find lots of friendly, helpful and knowledgeable folks.
   [5] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/

Enjoy!
Rick