Installing Debian on iMac

 iMac:  iMac (24-inch, early 2009), Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mem 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3,  OS X El Capitan ver 10.11.6.
Objective: Install Debian and software development tools (compilers, interpreters, and support applications for software development.)
Progress:  I have searched  the internet and have not found instructions I could follow through to completion.
Experience:  Before retirement (1995) I was doing software development on a Hewlett Packard Unix System ((HPUX).  I was then comfortable with the Unix system, BASH and all.
Excuse:  I am now living in The Villages FL and with all these old folks there is no one here with which I can discuss OS’s etc.

Comments recommendations appreciated.

						Thanks John

I am 85 and have accumulated rust where brain cells used to be.