Re: Basic concepts and proper useage of UEFI

rowlett@cloud85.net wrote:

>This post was prompted by recent discussion of problems/cautions
>concerning UEFI. All my machines boot in Legacy BIOS mode and I have
>minimal background in UEFI.
>
>A preliminary web search yielded:
>>
>> http://x86asm.net/articles/introduction-to-uefi/
>
>> https://blog.thomasmarcussen.com/tag/configmgr/
>
>> https://blog.thomasmarcussen.com/unified-extensible-firmware-interface-uefi/
>
>> https://wiki.restarters.net/UEFI_and_GPT
>
>> http://x86asm.net/articles/others/index.html
>
>> https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
>
>I have not yet read these in detail. Is there other introductory
>material that would be recommended.

I've alwo written a lot about UEFI in relation to Debian in the wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI

>Also, in https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/05/msg00107.html , it
>was suggested that a separate thread be begun on the question of
>   "Whether or not you can update/install UEFI if you are not booted
>    into UEFI."

The normal way to use a system with UEFI firmware involves
using/updating boot variables via UEFI Runtime Services. You can only
set those variables up when your system is already running in UEFI
mode.

  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
  Honor, Integrity and Loyalty. Now you don't have to be a Caesar to
  concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.