Re: How do I trace changes in configuration files?

Erik Josefsson wrote:
> I'm trying to learn how to set up my two Teres laptops so that they are
> identical.
>
> [...]
>
> I have tried to document my personal preferences before, but I have
> always ended up with unreadable handwritten notes.
>
> This time I thought I should do it in a more systematic way by somehow
> capture the difference between the default install and the result of my
> (often irrational) efforts to make my machines look and feel like I want
> it to.
>
> So, is there a way to trace/record/capture changes in all configuration
> files?

There are as many as people reading this channel :)

Probably the simplest (and, to some extent, most error prone) is to
simply make copies, edit only the copies. For example:

  cp orig.conf orig.conf.$(date +%y-%m-%d_%H%M%S)
  vi orig.conf

and then you'll end up with stuff like

  orig.conf
  orig.19-05-01_065356
  orig.19-05-01_104022
  (etc)

Then just use 'diff' against any two files to see what changed between
them.

Or you can use a revision tool. I ran across "rcs" a few years ago, and
while it's not something I always use, when I remember, it's pretty good
at what it does.

Either of these could be wrapped up in a little script --

  #!/bin/bash
  # 'rvi' - "revision-controlled" vi wrapper
  # create a backup then edit the original file

  cp -p "$1" "$1".$(date +%y-%m-%d_%H%M%S)
  vi "$1"

  ALTERNATE

  #!/bin/bash
  #'rvi' - revision control vi wrapper
  # use the 'rcs' tool to checkout/checkin files

  co -l "$1"
  vi "$1"
  ci -u "$1"

Personally I like vi, but if you don't, replace it with whatever your
editor of choice is.  The scripts probably have flaws that someone will
point out soon (like calling it with no file, or multiple files, etc).

> The idea is then to just replace the default configuration files with
> the files where my preferences have been saved.

As far as actually propagating changes, that gets a little more
difficult -- but if all the config files are in $HOME/.config ... well,
just use a cronjob to sync daily or something.

--
|_|O|_|