Re: Is Debian 9 supposed to work on a Geode?

Quoting Björn Persson (2019-04-28 18:43:48)
> I have a small server with a Geode processor – Geode LX 500 MHz
> according to the BIOS boot screen – which I needed to upgrade from
> Debian 8 to Debian 9. I know that Debian has dropped support for i586,
> but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to how that
> affects Geodes. What little I could find on the Web seemed to suggest
> that Geodes are mostly like i686, which is supposed to still be
> supported by Debian 9, so I decided to try it, took a backup, and took
> the plunge.
>
> It turns out that the kernel from Debian 9 won't boot. Both Linux
> 4.9.0-8-686 and 4.9.0-9-686 appear to hang early in the boot process.
> Everything else seems to work, so right now I'm running Debian 9 on
> Linux 3.16.0-8-586 from Debian 8. This works for now, but it's
> obviously not a long-term solution.
>
> So my question is: Is the Geode LX among the dropped processors, or is
> the hang a bug that should be fixed?

The officially supported CPUs - and how to check if yours is covered:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-information.da.html#i386-is-now-almost-i686

Some background on why the cut is there exactly:
https://lists.debian.org/20161017131747.wbvvhjemegs43o7u@bunk.spdns.de

 - Jonas