Re: Is Debian 9 supposed to work on a Geode?

Björn Persson <Bjorn@xn--rombobjrn-67a.se> wrote:

> I have a small server with a Geode processor – Geode LX 500 MHz
> according to the BIOS boot screen – which I needed to upgrade from
> Debian 8 to Debian 9. I know that Debian has dropped support for i586,
> but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to how that affects
> Geodes. What little I could find on the Web seemed to suggest that
> Geodes are mostly like i686, which is supposed to still be supported by
> Debian 9, so I decided to try it, took a backup, and took the plunge.

The Geode LX is missing some CPU instructions to be fully
i686-compatible.

> It turns out that the kernel from Debian 9 won't boot. Both Linux
> 4.9.0-8-686 and 4.9.0-9-686 appear to hang early in the boot process.
> Everything else seems to work, so right now I'm running Debian 9 on
> Linux 3.16.0-8-586 from Debian 8. This works for now, but it's
> obviously not a long-term solution.

Even if the Kernel boots, you might find other software which will
SIGILL if you try to run it on a Geode LX, because if the missing
instructions.

> So my question is: Is the Geode LX among the dropped processors, or is
> the hang a bug that should be fixed?

Geode LX is among the dropped processors, you need at least a Geode NX
for Debian Stretch.

Grüße,
Sven.

--